Curtis Wool Direct

Australian dollar keeps climbing

Buy and sell wool 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from anywhere in the world. Click here.

The Australian dollar’s climb above 80 U.S. cents isn’t the sort of development that policy makers and companies are likely to welcome, but the currency’s rally shrugged off weak inflation, technical sell signals and local central bank efforts to douse rate-hike speculation.

Reserve Bank of Australia Governor Philip Lowe said he was “very comfortable” with current policy settings, though a bit concerned about weak wage growth. Following cold on the heels of a chilling inflation report – all measures put the rate below the RBA’s 2 to 3 percent target range – his comments held the Aussie down for just over half a day. Swaps traders pared bets on rate hikes, seeing about 45 percent odds of an increase by next June, down from about a 55 percent chance priced in last Friday.

It seems nothing short of rate cuts in Australia or aggressive hikes in the U.S. will keep the Aussie dollar down. And the respective central banks made it clear that neither of those developments are likely.

The currency’s climb is tied to the general trend in perceptions for RBA policy. The market has become overwhelmingly focused on bets for tightening, running ahead of key indicators such as the price of iron ore, Australia’s biggest export.

While the key steelmaking raw material has jumped more than 30 percent since reaching a one-year low, it remains about 20 percent below its five-year average.

The Aussie’s strength is already complicating matters for Lowe as he seeks to bring inflation back up above 2 percent, with gains in the currency’s trade-weighted index helping to cool prices for so-called tradeables — goods whose costs are the most open to global influences such as currency moves. Any further sag in such prices would imply that core inflation will extend its record seven-quarter stretch below 2 percent.

Source: Bloomberg

Share This Article

America
Argentina
Australia
Belgium
Britain
Canada
France
Germany
Hungary
India
Italy
Malaysia
New Zealand
Russia
South Africa
Spain
Turkey
Uruguay
Wool Promotion
Buy Alpaca from
Mohair
Wool & Specialty Fibre
Tops & Yarn Dyeing
Wool & Top Treatment 
Buy Yarn From
Textile Machinery
Wool Magazines

Interested in reaching buyers in China? Advertise in wool2yarn China magazine and reach major importers of wool and speciality fibre, topmakers, spinners, weavers and textile companies in China, in their own language, breaking down the language barrier. This publication is circulated to 5000 major textile companies in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan and is a buyer’s guide and information source for the year ahead. See More.


Reach buyers in 58 countries – advertise in wool2yarn global magazine. Published once each year (September) it is circulated to over 5000 textile companies. Readership includes importers of wool and speciality fibre, topmakers, spinners and weavers, manufacturers of yarn, knitwear, carpet, and blankets, producers and importers of fabrics, bedding products, garment manufacturers, and brands and retail chains. See more.

Wool Reports
Buy Wool, Wool Tops, Yarn Online
Wool Testing
Wool Logistics
Wool Grease
Wool Products Online
Second Hand Textile Machinery